Ever start to wonder if it’s all taking over, but it’s impossible to let go….
I came to Ironman at 45…. after a knee injury forced me to move away from only running, which after six years had a firm grip on my life.
After moving over I have witnessed and been engulfed by a similar takeover by the IM/Tri addiction.
While on the whole, healthy for me… I learned, from having to give up on only running a few years ago, that doing some other stuff as well also helps me… particularly when speaking to non IM muggles!
Here is my list of other things I do, to try and have some identity outside of IM
1. I do some races in the individual sports… it’s so nice not having to pack and transition!
2. I read random books on other stuff… I love psychology and survival books…
4. I love going for long walks in the wild… it’s nice to be able to slow down, have a cup of tea or take some photos
5. Cross training… this year it’s going to be cross country skiing.
6. Writing this blog!
7. Counselling …. I seem to be able to relate to people with some challenges of their own…
8. I tried Art, love the process… not so much the outcome! Still, sketching is a holiday hobby…
Let me know any other suggestions!